Sunday, March 16, 2008

Diaper change from Hell!!!

Nate works on Sundays. It stresses me out to do church alone. Today during sacrament meeting I experienced the diaper change from hell... I told Easton after the sacrament was done that we would go change his poopy. He told me "no!" of course, but I didn't want to have him permeate the area with his stench. I grabbed him and we left, while Emily sat reverently coloring. He immediately started screaming and launched into some sort of thrashing episode and he was horizontal in my arms with his back arched, legs kicking wildly. Once we were safely in the Mothers Lounge, I tried to ignore him for a moment and then tried to distract him. Nothing was working so I just strapped him down on the changing table and started to undress his lower half. The whole time he of course is kicking against the table and screaming in the highest pitch you've ever heard. (not exaggerating) Anyway, after he proceeded to smear poop on his hand, feet and butt, I was perplexed. What do you do when both of my hands are trying to keep his feet from kicking in poo, and he is grabbing himself, therefore getting poo on his hands? After a quick wetwipe to the hands, I started cleaning his bottom and then a lady walks in... Here is the dialogue:
her: "Is everything alright?!"(sounding VERY concerned)
Me: "uh, I think so.."
her: "We are in the class next door and we heard all this kicking and screaming and wondered if everything is okay?"
me: "Sorry, I'm just trying to change a diaper.."
her: "Well, is he okay?"
me: "He is just fine."
her: staring and putting her hand to her chest
me: "I'll be done soon, this is the mothers lounge though, and I had nowhere else to do this."
her: "Alright, we just thought something was wrong."
me: "NOPE!"

Needless to say I was a little on edge and she probably thought I was killing him! After a good fight we got the bum clean and amazingly a new diaper on. He wouldn't let me get him dressed so I just gathered him up like a football and left the mothers lounge. I HAD to get out of there ASAP but needed to get Emily and all our stuff. I couldn't just leave Easton in the hall in his condition of temporary insanity so we entered the chapel. As I opened the door it was silent, except for Easton's shrill screaming and I swear, every head turned! I wished that I was dead and luckily the lady we were sitting by saw the distress signal and helped gather our things. Oh and as I was lifting my bag to my shoulder it lifted that back of my skirt up so who knows how many people saw MY backend!! I left with the door banging shut and I was outta there! Who knew it would have turned into such a climatic event. I should have held my nose and just waited till we got home. -sigh- I Love that kid!!!! Next time Nate has a Sunday off, HE can change the diapers...

3 comments:

jen said...

hee hee. I'm so sorry but I have to laugh. I felt like I was reading something I'd written. That is SO my life. Thanks for making me feel better that I'm not alone. It's probably not funny to you today but you'll laugh one day. Wait...I'm still not laughing about Camden getting diarhea all down the slide and floor at McDonald's playland so they had to clear everyone out to sanitize. Maybe one day we'll laugh, right??

Oceanchild said...

Oh my gosh. I'm laughing too. But more with relief that this Sunday that wasn't me. I know all about the horizontal kicking and screaming from hell. And what are you supposed to say to the lady? "I'm sorry that your class is hearing me murder my child...I'll be finished in just a few minutes" Seriously what was she thinking? She should have held his arms down until you could get him clean (that's what jeff and I have to do sometimes!).

I do the church alone stuff sometimes too (well anytime i drag myself and kids to church) and it is NOT fun.

Tanielle said...

In hind site you are probably thinking of a lot of things you could have told that lady. Here is one I thought of. Sarcastically of course, "Yes something is wrong and you could probably handle this situation much better than I. Could you finish here for me? I'll be out in the hall."